Friday, August 28, 2015

1.8 My Writing Process


  • What Type of Writer do You Consider Yourself to Be?

I would always like to consider myself a heavy planner.  When working on a project where time seems not to be an issue, I can create a detailed and thorough outline, planning each minute detail with careful planning and consideration.  Usually though, I find myself having only a day left to finish and having to make a mad rush to get it in on time.  This project is different though.  I still had two days left when I started this.  Technically not procrastination.

  • Does Your Writing Style Include Several of the Above Approaches?  If So, Which Ones?

Probably all of them (Well, Sequential Composers is equal parts planning and revising I guess, so probably just two).  I would like to assume that I am a well rounded and careful writer who knows how to play to his own strengths and weaknesses.  We all know, however, that there will be one assignment where I'm staring at a clock that reads 11:58 and hoping the page loads before the clock rolls over.

I actually found a clock that had 11:58 on it.
Micthev "Clock 11-58" 4/18/2010 via wikimedia
GNU Free Documentation License
I don't even know if the phrase "equal parts Procrastination and Sequential Composers" is fair to sequential composers.  Probably equal parts procrastinating, sequential composing, and sleeping in until noon.

  • Does Your Writing Process Seem to be Successful?  What are the Strengths and Weaknesses of Your Approach?

Well, I've never gotten a book deal.  I've also never been hunted down alive for the terribleness of my writing.  I guess the phrase would be "pretty good".

The strength is that is obviously works.  I've never outright failed when I write a paper.  The weakness is...well...everyone who's failed a paper at one point didn't fail a paper.  The day may come when the people have had enough, gather outside my home and shout, "Jon!  Your writing's bad, you're a disgrace to your name, and we can take these atrocities no more!"  I'll then be forced to carry out the remainder of my days as a member of the Night's Watch.

  • Do You Think it Might be Beneficial for You to Try a Different Approach?  Why or Why Not?

I did have this idea of writing an outline, composing a first draft, revising my mistakes, composing a second draft, submitting to a third party for review, composing a final draft and creating a well thought out and concise literary piece.  I don't know if it would work though.

EDIT: It appears a lot of people consider themselves heavy revisers, preferring to 'get it down' and fix it later.  I'll agree with this to a point, as it can help to just have something to start off of.  I still feel a nice and concise plan to work off of is essential though.  If you just write what comes to your mind without and planning or guidelines, you get the Star Wars prequels.  We don't need to make that mistake 4 times.

I also commented on Mariana Beltran's blog, along with Hunter Murrell's.

No comments:

Post a Comment