Saturday, September 19, 2015

4.8 Reflection on Project 1 Draft

I commented on Felicia and Scott's drafts.

Who, specifically, is going to be reading this document?  Who am I trying to reach with my argument?


Obviously, these QRGs are going to be read primarily by my classmates and instructors.  Still, they should be formatted in a way as to where an average reader with no experience in the written topic should be able to comprehend what it's about, especially since I don't know my classmates' experience with it.

What are their values and expectations?  Am I adequately meeting those expectations?


As a QRG, the article should be written for the everyman to be able to understand.  The values and expectations could vary quite a bit.  Therefore, my article should be well-organized, non-confrontational, unoffensive and explain complex ideas in simplistic ways.

How much information do I need to give my audience?  How much background information or context should I provide for them without insulting their expertise?


A QRG is intended to boil a complex and intricate topic down to a article a couple of pages long.  The amount of information I can give is limited by the length of the article, and also by the context of what I'm writing.  A QRG on nuclear fusion isn't going to be able to deconstruct every minuscule detail to allow you to construct your own fusion power plant.  It's going to give the basic run down so that when someone mentions 'nuclear fusion' at dinner, you have some idea of what he's talking about.  I should assume my audience has no background information on the topic, and someone with a lot of expertise on the subject probably isn't reading the QRG.

What kind of language is suitable for this audience?


Obviously, as a wide demographic may be reading it, it should be unoffensive while using simple, easy to understand language.

What tone should I use with my audience?  Do I use this tone consistently throughout my draft?


It should be friendly and probably remain unaffiliated with either side of the debate.  If I do a QRG on Coke v. Pepsi, then proceed to berate Pepsi drinkers and call them communists, my QRG will probably come across as an opinion piece rather than a reference guide.  I should provide a fairly unbiased position on the topic, unless of course that topic is something like ISIS, in which case it might be suspicious if I refuse to take sides.

What are the formatting requirements of the assignment?  Do I meet them?


There isn't really a formal standardized QRG format, but there are some basic points you should have.  The article should be broken into a Q&A format, with headings to break up topics, images and/or hyperlinks leading to extra content, and citations to back up my claims.  I believe I have most of that at the moment.

What are the content requirements for the assignment?  Do I meet them?


The article should provide a debate of some sort, with both sides represented in some way, along with citations, images, social media posts, and whatever helps my article,  I believe I meet most of these.

Does my draft reflect knowledge or skills gained in class in addition to my own ideas and voice?


The article should reflect the citation style I chose, along with the books examples on organizations, openings, conclusions, etc.  I believe it should follow that well.

Have I addressed any grammatical issues that my teacher highlighted in class or in my previously-graded assignments?


There have been comments made on my Google Docs page.  They haven't all been addressed yet, but they will be by the time this is finalized.

No comments:

Post a Comment